Faculty & Administration
Chief Academic Officer and Dean; Professor of Intercultural Studies
Ph.D., Fuller Theological Seminary, 1990
Th.M., Fuller Theological Seminary, 1985
M.Div., Bethel Theological Seminary, 1982
B.A., Bethel College, 1977
Larry, and his wife Mary, lived in Asia off and on for 30 years, with over 20 years in Manila, Philippines, as missionaries with Converge Worldwide (formerly Baptist General Conference). In Manila he was Professor of Missions and Bible Interpretation at Asian Theological Seminary; he also served as Academic Dean for five years. In addition, Larry edited the Journal of Asian Mission as well as directed the Doctor of Missiology (D.Miss.) Program of the Asia Graduate School of Theology.
In June of 2011, Larry and Mary returned to the USA where Larry became the Director of Training and Strategy for Converge Worldwide, as well as (in 2015) Chief Academic Officer and Dean, and Professor of Intercultural Studies, at Sioux Falls Seminary. Larry continues to teach regularly on contextualization and cross-cultural Bible interpretation at seminaries and training institutions in the United States, the Philippines, Pakistan, India and Brazil. Larry has published several books as well as dozens of articles found in many Western and Asian journals, as well as presented academic papers at missiological and theological meetings both in Asia and in the United States.
Larry is an avid runner. He also enjoys biking, cross-country skiing, golfing and snowshoeing. Larry and Mary have four adult children and two grandchildren.
Article Links - Ethnohermeneutics
- Towards Ethnohermeneutics--Contextualization 2.0 and Beyond
- Cross-Cultural Bible Interpretation--A View from the Field
- Towards the New Discipline of Ethnohermeneutics--Questioning the Relevancy of Western Hermeneutical Methods in the Asian Context
- Towards an Ethnohermeneutical Model for a Lowland Filipino Context
- Scripture in Context. Reconsidering Our Biblical Roots--Bible Interpretation, the Apostle Paul and Mission Today
Interpreting the Bible With the Poor
Article Links - Other
- How Asian is Asian Theological Education?
- God’s Truth, Christianity, and Other Religions--Towards a Broader Understanding of Christian Conversion and Discipleship, with an Appraisal of Insider Movements within Islam
Diaspora Ministry in the Book of Acts--Insights from Two Speeches of the Apostle Paul to Help Guide Diaspora Ministry Today
Book Links - Other