Explore What’s New in Academics at SFS
April 15, 2013
Master of Divinity Will Lower to 84 Credits Beginning Fall 2013
Beginning in Fall 2013, the requirements for the Master of Divinity program will lower from 90 hours to 84 hours. The faculty at the seminary are currently working on curriculum revisions that will lead to the reduction of requirements. Advance standing for students with appropriate undergraduate courses, up to 14 credits, can still granted on a case-by-case basis. To inquire about program changes, please contact the Enrollment Team by e-mailing email@example.com or calling 800.440.6227.
Grant Received to Explore Social Entrepreneurship
Sioux Falls Seminary has received a grant from the Kern Family Foundation to integrate economic principles throughout the pastoral preparation process. Over the next three years, curriculum enhancements will lead to expressions of economic awareness in core curriculum classes. One recent curriculum enhancement is the addition of Faith, Business, and Money: a course to help individuals gain a well-rounded theological approach to business and money that’s relevant to their career or ministry. It’s being offered spring ‘13 in Sioux Falls and summer ‘13 in Omaha. Church and business leaders are encouraged to take the course for credit or audit. To learn more, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Full Summer Schedule Planned for Sioux Falls and Omaha
We invite you to make plans to take a course or two this summer. We have a robust schedule of online, on campus, and intensive courses planned. As always, classes are available for credit or audits. (Audits are only $50 per credit hour.) The schedule is still being finalized, but tentative offerings include:
- Acts: The Expanding Church, June 3-7
- Exposition of the Gospels: Mark (will be offered as a two week course)
- God, Christ, and Humanity (online)
- Supervised Ministry (online: May 28-August 20)
- Leadership Conference: Willow Creek Leadership Summit
- Leadership Development: The Wisdom of Teams
- Storytelling for Public and Personal Use (June 10-14)
- Mission Immersion Experience: Rosebud (July 13-19)
- Faith, Business, and Money (one night per week in Omaha)
- Christian Discipleship (June 3-14)
- Cross-Cultural Youth Ministry Immersion Experience (independent study)
- Youth Ministry Internship (independent study)
- Special Focuses in Youth Ministry: Christian Camping Experience (August 4-9)
- Supervised Therapy
- Group Psychology
- Assessment, Diagnosis, and Treatment
- Theories of Integration (Omaha)
- Readings in Integration (Omaha)
- Theological Foundations for Ministry
Watch for the summer schedule to hit the website in the coming weeks in our Registrar and Business Office section or e-mail the Registrar's Office at email@example.com to set up a time to register.
New Non-Degree Certificates offer Additional Opportunities for Learning
SFS is now offering enrichment and focus in specific areas of ministry at the non-graduate, non-accredited level. Non-degree certificate offerings are designed specifically to enhance personal and professional development. Students in these programs follow a course of study unique to their certificate program. Courses taken are graded on a pass/fail basis and no academic credit is recorded. Non-Degree Certificates are not a substitute for graduate-level credit. Rather, they fill a unique need for individuals who are seeking to learn more about Christian ministry or wishing to enrich his/her career or area of service. To learn more, visit the Non-Degree Certificate section of our website.
Enrollment Statistics Show Continued Growth
During the 2011-12 academic year, which included the fall 2011 and spring 2012 semesters, enrollment at Sioux Falls Seminary increased 20% overall with a near 26% increase from the fall 2010 semester to the fall 2011 semester.